There's a possibility I might emerge, if not unscathed, at least relatively intact, from the operating-system-switch.
Excel proved very traumatic, as the Mac version tries valiantly but in vain to open the files I created in Windows. I use Excel all the time to track manuscript changes, revisions, word/page counts per scene, character placement and action per scene. In other words, Excel is the brain that is capable of holding the whole novel in one place, unlike my actual brain.
Thank the powers that be for GoogleDocs, which I think I can use to strip all the Windows-only functions from my spreadsheets. The Mac seems to cope with GoogleDoc exported spreadsheets just dandy.
I also found a lot of the files I thought I lost (although not in time to save my iTunes ratings and playcounts; thankfully I found an Applescript which recovered probably 80% of them).
And now that I can see a light at the end of the tunnel, I think I like my MacBook. Leopard is a very nice, distinctly unflappable operating system. And I promise I shall attempt not to bore you all any more with details of the switch.
In proper writing news, after a last visit to the post office all the competition prize books have been posted. Domestic winners should receive them within a week; international within…actually, I forgot to ask. Let's say a fortnight to be safe. If your book doesn't arrive, please to be letting me know!