A few days ago Nadia Cornier started offering up query letters and asking for our response as an agent. (Letter the first, letter the second (and response to the first), and finally letter the third (and response to the second).)
Now, after being deluged with response and questions alike, she's offered her own response to the letters and what she looks for in a query letter:
- Did they follow the directions on my submission site?
- Did the personalize it (Ms. Cornier instead of Dear Agent; mentioned how they found me; why they queried me)?
- Do they know any of my authors?
- Do they have any writing credentials?
- Are they working on any other projects?
- Do they seem professional?
- Do they seem psycho? (haha… kidding) (Maybe)